Postures for Pregnancy
(select posture from list on left)
Arm/Torso Warm up
Focus: Move with breath
- Inhale, stretch arms overhead, hands reach at top of inhalation. Exhale, release arms to sides and bend at hip, torso comes near thighs. Completely release at end of exhalation. Inhale up with arms, exhale arms down, repeat 10 times.
Warrior II - Sit in chair
Focus: Stretch arms away from shoulders, stretch thighs away from hip joints
- Take right leg to side, keeping knee bent. Extend left leg in opposite direction, feet in line with each other. Extend arms to shoulder height, turn face to right. Repeat on left side
Side Angle - Sit in chair
Focus: Extending body from back heel across torso to upper arm
- Take right leg to side, keeping knee bent. Extend left leg in opposite direction, feet in line with each other. Exhale, bend body to right placing right hand on floor, lift left arm to sky.
Dog Pose - With Chair
(either facing wall OR chair at wall, hands on chair seat)
Focus: Lengthen body from heels to hips and from hands to hips
- Seated -- Arms up over head, then stretch to wall, bending from hips. Walk fingers up wall as much as possible.
- Not Seated -- Place chair at wall, place hands on seat firmly, step back so feet are behind hips.
Backbend - sit in middle of chair seat
Focus: The inhale lifts chest and arms upward to sky, the exhale grounds legs and hips downward to earth. The torso below ribcage receives the stretch
- Stage I - Press palms in to thighs, lift chest & sternum
- Stage 2 - Interlace fingers behind head, lift chest & sternum, keep elbows together
- Stage 3 - adjust sitting so shoulder blades hook over back of chair. Interlace fingers behind head, lift chest & sternum, keep elbows together. Arch back over chair seat, then push legs out, pointing toes.
Forward Bend - Sit in chair with legs wider than hip width.
Focus: Maintain smooth breath while releasing torso and head.
- Inhale, lengthen spine and torso, exhale bend at hip and release forward allowing arms and head to hang toward floor. Torso will come closer and closer to thighs as hips soften.
Breathing - 15 min.
Focus: Allow mind and body to become still so breathing takes over. Receive the fruits of the actions you have done. Become passive like a still pond and feel the breath ripple across the body. Observe changes in breathing.
- Lie on back with support under chest and head. Face should tilt slightly toward chest.